Are you planning a camping trip with your boy scout troop? If yes, then you must be thinking of preparing some delicious desserts to keep the boys energized and happy. With a little bit of planning and creativity, you can make some mouth-watering desserts that are perfect for camping trips. In this beginner’s guide, we have compiled a list of 35 Boy Scout camping dessert ideas that are sure to impress your troop.
Before we dive into the recipes, let’s talk about the essential equipment you will need to make these desserts. A portable camping stove or a campfire grill grate, a Dutch oven, a cast-iron skillet, and some cooking utensils such as tongs, spatulas, and ladles are the basic items that you should pack for your camping trip.
Now, let’s explore the 35 Boy Scout camping dessert ideas that we have compiled for you:
- Campfire S’mores: No campfire cookout is complete without this classic dessert. Simply toast marshmallows over the campfire until golden brown and gooey, then sandwich between graham crackers with a square of chocolate. Enjoy the melty and delicious treat with friends and family around the fire.
- Campfire Cones: A fun and customizable dessert that is perfect for camping. Fill waffle cones with your favorite mix-ins like chocolate chips, marshmallows, and fruit, wrap in foil, and cook over the campfire until everything is melted and gooey.
- Grilled Bananas: An easy and healthy dessert that can be made on the campfire. Slice a banana in half lengthwise, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and grill over the campfire until the banana is soft and caramelized.
- Apple Crisp: A classic dessert that can be made in a cast-iron skillet over the campfire. Layer sliced apples with a mixture of oats, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon, and bake until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender.
- Campfire Eclairs: A delicious and decadent dessert that is sure to impress your camping buddies. Slice open pre-made eclairs, fill with whipped cream, and top with chocolate sauce. Warm over the campfire until the chocolate is melted and the cream is warm.
- Baked Apples: A simple and delicious dessert that is perfect for chilly nights around the campfire. Core an apple and fill with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter, then wrap in foil and cook over the campfire until the apple is soft and caramelized.
- Cinnamon Rolls: A tasty and easy breakfast or dessert that can be made in a cast-iron skillet over the campfire. Unroll pre-made cinnamon roll dough and place in the skillet, then cook until the rolls are golden brown and the icing is melted.
- Chocolate Cake in an Orange: A fun and unique dessert that is easy to make on the campfire. Cut the top off of an orange and scoop out the flesh, then fill with cake mix and water. Wrap in foil and cook over the campfire until the cake is baked and fluffy.
- Grilled Peaches: A healthy and delicious dessert that is perfect for summer camping trips. Cut peaches in half and grill over the campfire until the fruit is soft and caramelized. Top with whipped cream and a drizzle of honey for an extra treat.
- Brownie in a Mug: A quick and easy dessert that can be made in a mug over the campfire. Mix together brownie mix, water, and oil, then pour into a mug and cook over the campfire until the brownie is baked and gooey.
- Churros: A crispy and sweet dessert that is easy to make on the campfire. Mix together flour, sugar, and cinnamon, then add water and mix until a dough forms. Pipe the dough into long strips and fry over the campfire until golden brown, then coat in cinnamon sugar.
- Grilled Pineapple: A sweet and tangy dessert that is perfect for summer camping trips. Cut pineapple into slices and grill over the campfire until the fruit is caramelized and juicy. Top with vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
- Grilled Peaches: Another fruit-based dessert, grilled peaches are a healthy and delicious option. Cut peaches in half and remove the pit, then brush with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Grill over the campfire for a few minutes on each side until caramelized and tender.
- Banana Boats: This is a fun and easy dessert that kids will love. Cut a banana lengthwise, leaving the peel on. Stuff with chocolate chips and marshmallows, then wrap in aluminum foil. Place over the campfire and cook until the chocolate and marshmallows are melted and the banana is tender.
- Fruit Salad: A refreshing dessert that is perfect for hot summer days. Cut up your favorite fruits, such as watermelon, cantaloupe, and strawberries, and toss together in a bowl. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- Apple Crisp: This is a comforting and satisfying dessert that is perfect for cool evenings around the campfire. Cut apples into bite-sized pieces and place in a cast-iron skillet. Mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and sprinkle on top of the apples. Dot with butter and bake over the campfire until golden brown and bubbly.
- Trail Mix Bars: These are a great snack or dessert that can be made ahead of time and brought on the camping trip. Mix together your favorite trail mix ingredients, such as nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. Mix in melted marshmallows and press into a baking dish. Let cool and cut into bars.
- Baked Apples: Another warm and comforting dessert, baked apples are easy to make on the campfire. Cut out the core of the apple and fill with brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake over the campfire until tender.
- Banana Split: A classic dessert that is perfect for camping. Cut a banana in half lengthwise and place in a bowl. Add scoops of vanilla ice cream, sliced strawberries, and chocolate sauce. Top with whipped cream and a cherry.
- Peanut Butter S’mores: A delicious twist on the classic S’mores, replace the chocolate square with a dollop of peanut butter. Toast the marshmallows and sandwich between graham crackers with the peanut butter. Enjoy the gooey and nutty treat!
- Campfire Popcorn: Popcorn is a fun and easy snack that can be made on the campfire. Place popcorn kernels in a foil packet and seal. Hold the packet over the campfire with tongs and shake until the kernels have popped. Season with salt or other seasonings to taste.
- Banana Bread: A comforting and delicious dessert that is easy to make on the campfire. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and mashed bananas, and bake in a cast-iron skillet over the campfire until golden brown and fluffy.
- Grilled Peaches with Honey and Yogurt: Cut fresh peaches in half, remove the pit, and grill until charred. Drizzle with honey and serve with a dollop of yogurt on top for a healthy and delicious dessert.
- Dutch Oven Apple Pie: This classic dessert can be made in a Dutch oven over the campfire. Simply line the bottom of the oven with pie crust, add sliced apples and cinnamon sugar, cover with another layer of pie crust, and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Chocolate Banana Boats: Slice a banana lengthwise and stuff with chocolate chips and marshmallows. Wrap the banana in foil and cook over the campfire until the chocolate and marshmallows are melted and gooey.
- Grilled Pineapple with Coconut Cream: Cut fresh pineapple into rounds and grill until caramelized. Serve with a dollop of coconut cream on top for a tropical and refreshing dessert.
- Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake: This easy dessert is made by layering blueberries, lemon cake mix, and butter in a Dutch oven and cooking until bubbly and golden brown.
- Caramelized Bananas with Ice Cream: Cut bananas in half lengthwise and sprinkle with brown sugar. Grill until caramelized and serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
- Berry Cobbler: Mix fresh berries with sugar and lemon juice, top with a crumble made of oats, butter, and brown sugar, and cook in a Dutch oven until the topping is crispy and the berries are bubbly.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites: Slice bananas into rounds, spread peanut butter on top of each slice, and sandwich two slices together with a chocolate chip in the middle. Wrap in foil and grill until the chocolate and peanut butter are melted.
- Grilled Pound Cake with Berries and Whipped Cream: Grill slices of pound cake until golden brown, top with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream for a simple and delicious dessert.
- Apple Cinnamon Quesadillas: Top a tortilla with sliced apples, cinnamon sugar, and a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Fold in half and cook over the campfire until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy.
Related: 30+ School Camp Dessert Ideas
These Boy Scout camping dessert ideas are sure to be a hit on your next camping trip. Whether you’re looking for a classic campfire dessert or a unique and tasty treat, there’s something for everyone on this list.